Date(s) - Wed, Nov 1, 2017
6:30pm - 9:30pm
Join us at one of Waterloo Region’s most eclectic and dynamic meetups! November 1st come hear first hand what Shopify is doing to increase diversity and if it’s working, what a Quantum physicist’s life is really like at the Perimeter Institute, and what’s with the 3D printing craze and what can my kids learn from it, with Inksmith. Plus Deb Bergey from the Region of Waterloo will share their plans for making sure all citizens have access to region services, with some questions for you, and Catharine Macdonald will talk about different types of diversity impact how well teams operate. Register below!
- 6:30 pm Registration and Networking
- 7:00 pm Lightning Talks
- 8:15 pm Group activity
- 8:35 pm Hive WR Update
- 8:40 pm Networking and munching snacks
If you’d like to present a Lightning Talk on a topic related to diversity in tech or digital literacy, please email us at email@example.com.
Due to demand and the fascinating topics presented by our speakers, we are extending the length of talks to be up to 10 minutes… ooooh….
Thank you to Shopify for hosting us!
- Bel Sainz is a quantum physicist at the Perimeter Institute. She will share how women in her field are helping combat bias and her research into the quantum nature of nature.
- Deb Bergey of the Region of Waterloo will outline the plans for digital access to services and the challenge they have to be inclusive. She has some questions for us!
- Jeremy Hedges and Doug Braden of InkSmith are part of a continuing evolution in education to integrate technology in the curriculum. Their specialty is 3D printing, introducing students to design and mechanical engineering concepts.
- Banjo Edu of Shopify will share the company’s strategy to diversify their workforce and how it’s working.
- Cathy Macdonald of Atypical Works will talk about all the types of diversity at work and how to improve communication and understanding to make teams work their best together. She’ll then lead us in a group activity to try out!
- Stephanie Rozek will provide an update on the global Hive Learning Network and future direction for Hive Waterloo Region.